Saturday, December 22, 2012

Water for Elephants


I first read Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants many, many moons ago. I love the idea 
of the old circus, the glamour and the sparkle and the majesty, even though I've never 
actually been to the circus! 

Once the movie came out, I meant to read Water for Elephants again to refresh my memory, but life got busy and books get packed (and moved and moved again) and other books get read instead and the movie was never seen. But it finally made it to the top of my pile! 

I enjoyed Water for Elephants as much the second time as I did the first. It encompasses the magic of the circus along with the devastation of The Great Depression.  It's a love story, love for a woman, an elephant, and the circus. It's a touching story with characters who come to life. I really felt like I knew the characters and I cared about what happened to them. 

The only thing I don't like about this novel is the bookending of the past by the present.
 Of course, I always say that about books like this. I don't feel the need for the small story
 of the present. I'm happy with the story of the past. It's enough for me. It's a great story 
and I think you'll like it too! Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment